Save your skin with 5 simple tricks
Ever wish you could have instantly glowing skin without purchasing expensive products or treatments? What if all it took to improve your look was a few eco-friendly household items and no more than a few minutes? Sounds to be good to be true, right? Not when you’re a part of the Oh My Garden! Nation!
We are obsessed with healthy, gorgeous glowing skin, (isn’t everyone?), but we know invasive skincare treatments, pricey products, and spending hours in front of the mirror isn’t a reality for most people. Also, sending countless plastic bottles and harmful chemicals into the environment really isn’t our style. However, we are HUGE fans of small, simple tricks that are easily accessible and environmentally conscious, and we want everyone to experience the joy of a glowing complexion.
You don’t need extravagant procedures to look healthy and energized, all you need is a few simple, eco-friendly tips to look as radiant on the outside as you feel on the inside! Here are a few of our favourites:
1. Refresh your face with ice cubes!
All you need for this beauty trick is some water, an ice cube tray, and a soft cotton cloth. This beauty trick is the same concept as applying a cold-compress eye patch to your skin. However, while cold-compress eye patches may have a similar impact, they are often not biodegradable and can negatively impact the environment. They can also really begin to add up in price, especially the more frequently you need to buy them. Brighten your eyes instantly without compromising the planet or your wallet!
- Place several ice cubes in a soft cotton cloth.
- Using medium pressure, gently rub the compress in a circular motion around the eye area for several minutes.
- Once applied to your skin, the coolness from the ice will reduce swelling, inflammation, and puffiness around the eyes, giving you an instantly refreshed and awakened look.
- Repeat this process daily or as needed.
2. Make your facial oil a multitasker
Here at Oh My Garden!, we are big believers in one item going a long way. Using your products as a multitasker is a great way to reap all the benefits of your purchase without adding any additional packaging into the landfills, or spending additional cash! Our Balancing Facial Oil and our Nourishing Facial Oil can be used as a daily moisturizer, and as protection and primer for your skin. It’s like purchasing a skincare army for the price (and sustainability) of one eco-friendly bottle! The Oh My Garden! facial oils are specifically designed to instantly give your skin a radiant glowing appearance, with additional skincare benefits over long-term use!
- Apply several drops directly to clean, bare skin
- Gently rub into the skin using soft, circular motions
- Apply in the morning, evening, or both
3. Apply a green tea treatment
Your favourite tea is also your favourite skincare saviour, who knew? Green tea works wonders for boosting your skin, thanks to its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties. Applying green tea to your skin can help treat acne and excessive oiliness while providing you with glowing and radiant skin.
You will need:
- Green tea leaves
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp natural-based moisturizer
- Boil green tea leaves in 1 cup of water
- Once colour begins to expel from the leaves, remove from heat
- Allow the tea to cool. (Do not apply hot tea to your skin!)
- Once cool, mix 2 teaspoons of tea with your moisturizer
- Gently apply all over the face using circular motions
- Leave on skin for 10 minutes
- Rinse with cold water and pat dry
4. Apply aloe vera
Aloe vera has incredible natural properties to help treat and rejuvenate the skin. Applying aloe vera to your face will help reduce inflammation and acne, increase hydration, and provide a natural glow to your complexion. Aloe vera contains Vitamins A and C, antioxidants, and enzymes, making it a great natural treatment for more radiant skin.
You will need:
- 1 tbsp of aloe vera gel
- Evenly apply aloe vera gel to face using gentle circular motions
- Leave on for 20 minutes
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry
5. Create a homemade herbal face mask
Face masks are a great way to give your skin an instant boost of radiance. Applying the right vitamins and nutrients can work wonders for how your skin looks and feels. However, many readily-made face masks contain plastic packaging and are only suitable for single use, resulting in an unnecessary amount of waste. To enjoy all the benefits of a facemask without the harmful environmental impact, make one at home! Here's a simple 2-part mask:
*Note: Before applying any face mask to your skin, ensure you are not allergic to any of the ingredients. As different skin types may react differently, proceed with caution before applying face masks to the skin and use ingredients that work best for your skin type*
You will need:
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp chamomile (boiled and strained)
- Gently wash and dry your face, ensuring makeup and excess dirt and oil are removed from the skin
- Allow the chamomile to cool. (Do not apply hot mixtures to your skin!)
- Add both ingredients in a bowl and stir until properly mixed
- Wait until the mixture is a safe temperature before applying to the skin
- Using clean, dry hands, evenly apply the face mask to your skin and gently rub using circular motions
- Leave the mask on for 10-15 minutes
- Rinse and pat dry
- Apply facial oil to lock in hydration